Thursday, January 3, 2013

Surviving my Single



I won’t begin to start this blog off with fun filled stats as to why black women are single, you know the statistics that explain to you that you have a better chance of marrying the Prince of England than finding an eligible black man who would find you attractive and also be willing to date you. That I will save for another time. At this very moment I am ending a conversation with a girlfriend who believes she has all the answers to why I am not only single but desperate, lonely and destined to be an old maid.
Let’s assume for a moment that I am attractive, well educated and an all around nice person to have on your team. Most all my close relationships with my friends date back to almost 20 years now, which would appear if nothing else that I am loyal. But the fact that I am single with no kids seems to have a few family and friends worried and the source of the problem they believe stems from me. While I know there intentions mean well and for the few girlfriends I have that are married I know they would love to see me filled with the same matrimonial bliss they seem to experience everyday of their lives, I however have no complaints about my current “single” status. Do I wish to be married? Yes, I will not however feel pressured to jump on the first available man pushing my agenda until he surrenders. So why am I single??.....
  •  Why are you single?...... 
    •  I have yet to make my final payment on “him” at the “Husband and Child Store”
  •  It will happen when you stop looking…
    • So you mean I can deactivate my “blacksinglesmeet.com” account and wait for him to arrive at my door…
  •  You don’t need a man they’re all dogs
    • Advice normally giving by the chronically single girlfriend or relative with even more chronically single daughters
  •  I have the perfect friend for you…
    • Umm if he were so perfect why aren’t you with him?? If the one thing we have in common is being single, that doesn’t make a us a match..
  •  You aren’t getting any younger
    • Yes, I am aware of this fact as I continually count down the minutes to my impending death, which makes the fact that I am single a state of emergency..

While I’m not looking for perfection, I am taking this time to work on me and having enough courage to wait for the person who is right for me, I may not have a lot of options but “settling” on just anyone will not do. Rest assured all, I will find the right mate but until then be content knowing I am happy being the perfect “single” me.

No comments:

Post a Comment